September 6, 2010

A Postful of Good Linkage

There's this project that's been in the works for ages. To be honest, it makes me very tired to think of making something like this happen. Ryan wasn't too tired. He set himself on fire with a good idea, and that idea turned into action. He decided to have people who make good music get together and make some good music for a children's album. Then he would sell that album and all the money would go towards raising awareness for the rare genetic disease his stepson has. (Just explaining it makes my energy leak out one ear). But, the fire is still burning. It's quite amazing that all the wheels kept turning until a real live album was actually churned out. It's called "Do Fun Stuff" and it's actually purchasable on iTunes right now.

The coolest part is: the songs are not annoying!

The disease (disease? disorder?) that Ryan's stepson, the Littlest Buddy, has is called SMS, or Smith Magenis Syndrome. I had never heard of it before I started reading Pacing the Panic Room. All I know is I started reading and fell in love with LB and got greedy for pictures and stories about him. Then everything about SMS unfolded. That's the whole point of Ryan's children's album. Maybe some people will start by liking good music and end up knowing about SMS. Now I know, and I'm telling you, and on top of that - I want a birthday cake shaped like a whale.

If you want to know more about this whole thing, here you go.

If you want to support research for SMS by buying the album, right here.

Or if you just want to spy on a family full of characters too cool for life, go.

Or you can lose yourself in this unrelated old school magic.

This blog is not all about SMS or kids or raising money, even though it seems to be covered up with that right now. That's because one, the album just launched and two, LB is getting ready to retire from the Panic Room. Ryan decided to stop blogging about his kids when they turn six. So here's a farewell to LB (an introduction to him for many of you), and a soundtrack featuring one of the songs off his benefit album, all in one. LB, in his little black-framed glasses, kills me. And when Cole walks her fingers up his arm, he's precious. It makes me go all gooey inside.


So Long I'm Six from The Panic Room Videos on Vimeo.

I think Ryan's decision to curtail publishing his son's life on the internet is solid and full of respect. And it might also mean that he will show us more of her.

1 comment:

  1. I saw this cd featured on another blog, then yours, and then today? Dooce's. You beat Dooce to the punch, that is pretty crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Do I need to be liked? Absolutely not. I like to be liked. I enjoy being liked. I have to be liked. But it's not like a compulsive need to be liked. Like my need to be praised.